Begin Within provides career coaching for high performers in the workplace. If you’re anything like me, you’re probably asking yourself, “How do I know if I’m a high performer?” or even, “What if I’m not a high performer? Can I work with Begin Within?” Never fear my friend, I’ll give you the skinny about what characteristics we look for when we’re flirting with potential new clients.
What are the characteristics of a high performer?
If you are a high performer, you likely resonate with the following statements:
- Growth Minded: I thrive on personal and professional development.
- Quality over Quantity: I value a job well done that leads to satisfied clients. When I have a project with an impending deadline, I don’t sacrifice quality.
- Decision Maker: Even when it’s tough to make the right call, I make it.
- Loves Feedback: I understand that feedback helps me grow and I ask my superiors, peers, and subordinates for both positive and negative feedback.
- Independent: Sure, I can follow step by step instructions, but my best work happens when I’m left to my own devices.
- Poised Under Pressure: I solve problems and stay calm no matter what.
- Socially Savvy: I handle social situations with ease and understand the importance of building great personal and professional relationships.
- Mentorship: I seek mentorship from people I admire and give mentorship to people I see potential in.
- Leader: Even when not in a leadership role, I garner the respect of people.
- Bark Skin: Haters, criticism, and gossip doesn’t bother me.
- Hard Work: I show up and give 100% all the time, no matter what.
- Takes Action: I am decisive and take action. Sometimes executing it is the best decision.
- Principled: I know what I believe in and align my actions with my values.
- Tolerant: I live by my own values and am open minded enough to respect the values of others.
- Objective: I don’t let my feelings or preconceived notions get in the way when weighing a decision or a differing opinion.
- Lifelong Learner: I strive to master my craft and learn more about life at work and at home.
- Self-Care: I understand that peak performance requires me at my best and I’m not afraid to put myself first.
- Philanthropy: I believe in serving people and want to help them.
We also work with another category of professionals that I fondly call “rising stars.” A rising star tends to be a younger professional with high potential who is up and coming in their career. We believe in fostering high potential growth and helping to launch rising stars to their peak performance.
How does a rising star become a high performer?
In my experience as both a rising star who became successful and as a coach for budding rising stars, these three characteristics are what separate the boys from the men and the girls from the ladies when starting out early on in your career.
- Accountability: We all veer off course, get lost in the sauce and lose sight of the goal. Sometimes, rising star young professionals with high potential do not even have a clear goal in mind in their careers. When rising stars hold themselves accountable, and more importantly, find an accountability partner to kick them in the butt, it makes a huge impact on their performance.
- Networking: This one is tough. A lot of high performing professionals neglect office politics and schmoozing and avoid the process of building a professional network like the plague. Here’s what I know for sure, when a young professional takes their professional network seriously early on, they go miles above their peers in earnings and position titles… Sorry about your bad luck, it’s the way the world works.
- Performance: It goes without saying that in any role and at any level, performance is a key element to success. It is important to work your butt off, but no matter how hard you work if you don’t hit your numbers you’ve plateaued your career, come to a stalemate and your peers are outperforming you to get the big promotion. Keep razor-focused on your metrics, peak your performance out and seek mentorship in areas where you’re struggling.
Begin Within coaches the very special breed of high performing people every single day. If you feel like your productivity has waned, you’ve outgrown your career or maybe you need to be more challenged at work, call us! We offer a free career coaching session and can talk through your career issues. High performers deal with a special set of problems that average and underachieving peers will never understand.
We’ve got your back. We’re your tribe. We want you to break your own glass ceiling.